That is a question that merits much analysis. It is important to understand what cholesterol is, where it comes from, and if cholesterol is the villian it’s made out to be. We have to discover all of that before we answer the question “Where Should Your Cholesterol Numbers Be” or should we even be concerned about cholesterol numbers in isolation.
- What Is Cholesterol – According to Wikipedia “”Cholesterol is an organic molecule. It is a sterol (or modified steroid), a type of lipid molecule, and is biosynthesized by all animal cells, because it is an essential structural component of all animal cell membranes and is essential to maintain both membrane structural integrity and fluidity. In short, without it you couldn’t be alive.
- Where Does Cholesterol Come From – According to the American Heart Association “Cholesterol comes from two sources. Your body (specifically your liver) makes all the cholesterol you need. The rest you get from foods from animals. For example, meat, poultry and full-fat dairy products contain cholesterol (called dietary cholesterol).”
- Is Cholesterol a Major Vlllain – Now we get to what I call of the matter. The statins industry is now valued at 29 billion dollars, even though there is no solid proof that these cholesterol drugs help protect against heart disease. You’re kidding right.
- Is cholesterol necessary – Well if you had no cholesterol you would literally fall apart. In fact your body thinks it’s important enough to have your liver make it.
- The sex hormones estrogen and progesterone in women and testosterone in men require cholesterol.
- Cholesterol is also used in the making of Cortisol
- Cholesterol is necessary in the production of bile to emulsify fat and absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K, called fat-soluble vitamins, from foods and other supplements.
- The Myelin Sheath insulating your PNS (peripheral Nervous System) is 80% cholesterol.
- Cholesterol also comes to injured tissue in the body to aid in the healing process.
Understanding the aforementioned processes cholesterol is involved in, there is no doubt of it’s importance. Ascertaining how much cholesterol is too much is different for every human and every situation.
As far as the claim that cholesterol causes heart failure, the real problem is what causes too much cholesterol to be present.and the lifestyle choices such as food, drink, weight and other factors that clearly point to lifestyle. One thing we know for certain is cholesterol being too low endangers all the body systems.
In my humble opinion, focusing on cholesterol levels and using chemicals to artificially lower the numbers misses the point. Additionally, the long term side effects like liver damage, and many other conditions could and should be avoided.
High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure and others are symptoms and not of themselves anything but warning lights of something that should be given attention.
I remember about 40 years ago that my cholesterol was 230 and that I should follow up with a physician. Well I did not and have not had it checked since. All I did was tried to eat healthy, exercise and ignored the Standard American Diet.
Many who are all in with this MD thing may not agree and not even comprehend what’s being said here. I hope you do